I am just realizing (or admitting) that I have taken quite a long break from my blog in April. Since this month ends this week, I thought I better post once more to break my sloth blogging cycle and update you on my writing status.
Yes, I have been busy…just not with blogging. I have read great books. I have tried to write a great book, and between here and there…I am finally getting somewhere. How’s that for non-specific?
My 4th book, Between Hope and the Highway, is finished and out to beta-readers to look over for holes, flaws, and fun things like that. This stage is a little terrifying for me as a writer because I hand over my creation and hope it isn’t the Ugly Baby from Seinfeld.
“Oh, that’s…so readable.” or
“Oh! [said with enthusiasm until they read the first few chapters and then their face falls and they continue] “This is so…book-like.”
And then when my beta-readers meet together when I’m not there, they speak the truth.
“Was that the worst story you’ve ever read, or what?”
[Nods vigorously] “It was like a Pekinese.”
I’m trying not to think about it for a while. But I promise, come what may (unless everyone out there hates it), I will release it this fall. You might wonder why I don’t get it out earlier since it’s done…and here is why:
- I need time to get a cover done.
- I’m moving out of state and don’t want to promise anything besides just getting my house packed up and loaded into another one.
- I want to spend some time setting up some marketing BEFORE its release (which I haven’t done on my other books, and my sales show that)
- I want to have early readers go over the more polished version in August before release date (If you would like to get an early copy, let me know in the comments or my contact page so I can put you on my list. In exchange for an early copy of the book, you promise to write up a review (short or long) to upload to Amazon and Goodreads on release day.)
- I want time to format it for print (which takes longer than digital)
- I need to come up with a short blurb (which surprisingly is more difficult for me to do than writing a whole novel)
- I need to make a book trailer
- I want to eat lots of chocolate (I don’t know how that relates, but hey, it’s chocolate)
Here’s a sample cover I did up for an idea (but I need cowboy boots instead of sneakers since my heroine’s a cowgirl). Still, I’m kind of tickled about this idea if I can make it work.
I will try not to be so sloth-like with blogging in the next couple months…but between here and there, with a mountain of boxes in between, things could get a little sketchy. Just saying.
Peace out…or happy reading (whichever farewell you like best).